Wednesday, 19 May 2021
Monday, 15 June 2020 11:07

DepEd Sarangani gears up for “new normal” opening of classes

ALABEL, Sarangani (June 15, 2020) – The Department of Education Sarangani Division has already “captured” 28.21% enrollment rate during its first two weeks of online enrollment which started June 1.

Schools Division Superintendent Gildo Mosqueda said this translates to 39,584 students out of the previous school year’s 140,323 enrolled students from elementary, junior and senior high school.

“Enrollment will still continue until the last week of June, as there will be already face to face enrollment, which is allowed, starting Monday (June 15) until the last enrollment day of June,” Mosqueda said.

“The fact that only 28% ang na-capture natin through online, the presumption is the remaining 72% do not have access or cannot avail of the facility and equipment sa online. So that is why we will resort to face to face,” he added.

But Mosqueda clarified “it will not necessarily mean na they will flock sa school. We will have the scheduled enrollment.”

“We still have 10 enrollment days left. Ang mga school natin are instructed to make a scheme na hindi lahat ng bata from Kinder to Grade 6 ay pupunta ng school, dapat scheduling yan. Let us say, first day, Kinder ang i-accomodate, second day will be Grade 1 and so on and so forth.”

Also, Mosqueda disclosed that a “Learner’s Enrollment and Survey Form” is being incorporated during enrollment, which is set to be “accomplished” by the enrollees.

In the form, enrollees and their parents are allowed to choose what mode or means of learning they prefer, whether it be online learning, television, radio, modular, and blended or a combination of other modalities.

Mosqueda said DepEd has encountered challenges with the preparation and changes for the “new normal” modes of learning, as the world is currently facing a pandemic.

“One change we made is that we compressed the learning competencies and we reduced it by 75%. Noon, sa isang subject in one school year may 160 learning competencies na i-dedevelop ng teacher sa bata. When we ventured to the new normal, out of the 160, we reduced it to 40 essential learning competencies nalang,” he explained.

“I do not like to say we are prepared. We are preparing. It is a tough job for all of us because we only have barely two months preparation. Para bang you are to implement something big and given only the so short a time to prepare,” said Mosqueda.

“First time natin sa COVID-19 kaya napakahirap nitong hamon, at nagkataon na may anak tayo sa ganitong sitwasyon. Pero kahit napakahirap, hindi natin pwedeng hayaan na hindi sila matuto. We always tell everyone that despite of the difficult situation, education must continue in whatever modalities, sa kahit ano mang klaseng pamamaraan,” said DepEd Regional Director Allan Farnazo on June 9 during the 4th SOCCSKSARGEN Webinar.

Farnazo also encouraged the parents “to choose safety, lalo na sa pagpili kung anong pamamaraan ng pagtuturo ang para sa inyong anak. Yung pamamaraan na magfi-fit or magma-match sa personality at kakayahan ng inyong anak.”

In Sarangani, there are at least more than 300 public schools from elementary, junior and senior high school that are preparing for the opening of classes which is expected to start in August. (Jori Mae Samillano/SARANGANI PROVINCIAL INFORMATION OFFICE)

Read 699 times